Reports to: General Counsel
Principal Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
As a Legal Counsel for Shell Oman’s Downstream business, you will be responsible for
- Providing fit-for-purpose, timely legal advice on a diverse range of issues.
- Support in developing fit-for-purpose contractual frameworks to enable business objectives to be met.
- Having a leading role in coordinating ethics and compliance activities.
- Working as a team with the general counsel and having access to valuable learning and development tools.
- Acting as internal subject matter expert by assisting the business in delivering on its aspirations, with no or little reliance on external counsel.
- Managing priorities and key stakeholders.
- Draft various legal and contractual documents which serve the company’s business objectives and protect organizational interests under the supervision of the general counsel.
- Participate in or give support to negotiations with counterparties involved in the company’s operations and assist different departments on contractual issues.
- Liaise and follow up with external law firms on the update of cases and claims on a monthly basis or whenever required; and send out the update to the general counsel.
- Prepare quarterly updates for the audit committee of the board of director’s presentation on legal and ethics and compliance updates with liaison with the general counsel.
- Monitor emerging local/international legislation and legal developments relevant to company operations and advise on the implications to the relevant internal stakeholders.
- Support with general advisory matters to the respective departments of the company on various aspects of company operations as may be assigned from time to time by the general counsel.
- Ensure that all records are filed in the legal shared folder.
- Co-ordinate with external lawyers as the case may be to procure expert opinion on certain legal issues and/or managing litigation processes and contribute to the building of long-term relationships with them.
- Coordinate the onboarding of new board of directors and obtaining required relevant information/documents for that the purpose.
- Managing the process of annual general meeting (“AGM”) where legal support is required in accordance with the timeline.
- Execution of related party transactions disclosure procedures as required. quarterly/yearly with Board of Directors and internal stakeholders.
- Handle any arrangements for legal external stakeholders including meetings in and out of office and social functions.
- Ensure efficiency and continuity of the department in times of absence of general counsel.
- Carry out various ethics and compliance activities with the support of the global group ethics and compliance manager.
- Be a visible HSSE leader and report at least two potential incidents per month
- Effective individual contributor and team player able to provide legal advice, effectively balancing and prioritizing the needs of the business in a complex environment.
- Promotion of the Legal function, including Ethics & Compliance, in Oman.
- Working effectively with internal stakeholders located inside and outside Oman (including the line manager and functional line manager) and from diverse cultural backgrounds
Job Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Law degree (bachelors).
- Minimum Two years’ experience.
- Basic knowledge of the Legal framework in Oman including the latest rules and regulations.
- Bi-lingual (English and Arabic) competency.
- Understanding of the commercial terms and corporate side of the business.
- Knowledge on the litigation processes applied in Oman.
- Excellent legal drafting skills, preferably with experience in drafting and negotiating agreements, down-stream business supply/purchase agreements/(EPC) engineering, procurement & construction agreements/contracts for the purchase of goods and services, project financing agreements, mergers and acquisitions related agreements, technology licensing agreements, joint venture agreements, etc.
- Influencing skills, to enable delivery of departmental and organisational objectives through or in co-operation with internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent communication skills
- Coaching skills to assist team members in their development as a competent and confident legal professional in the oil and gas sector.
- Omani’s only
- Temporary-one-year contract
Kindly note that if you have not been contacted within 3 weeks from the closing date, your application is considered as unsuccessful
More in careers
Enhance your career development as an experienced professional with Shell and continue on your path to reach your full potential.
Joining the Shell Talent Community is the best way for you to stay informed about global career opportunities in your area of expertise and keep up to date with relevant news and events.