Pool: Downstream (DS) Legal Oman
Reports to: GM – External & Government Relations, Legal Affairs and Business Development
Location: Sultanate of Oman
Shell Legal’s strategic intent is to to partner with Shell’s business in the delivery of Shell’s Purpose and Strategy by providing leading expertise; preparing for future risk opportunities; protecting Shell Oman’s reputation and business, and where necessary, intervening; delivering with operational efficiency, differentiating behaviours and networked performance; contributing to and enhancing business decisions and continuity; shaping industry legal regimes and practices to create shared value, all at a competitive cost.
As the Legal Counsel for Shell Oman’s Downstream business, you will be responsible for
- Professional, pro-active, timely, cost-effective and practical legal advice and support to the Downstream business and relevant functions, with the support of the Associate General Counsel Downstream for the region.
- ·Supporting negotiation, finalization and execution of contracts with customers, suppliers and distributors.
- Providing legal advice on employee/labour law issues and other matters including local regulatory requirements and licensing.
- Providing effective and efficient support to the Company Secretary of Shell Oman Marketing in relation to, among other things, the Muscat Security Market, the Annual General Meeting and Board meetings.
- Conducting or managing local Litigation matters and coordinating, as necessary, with Shell Legal Global Litigation in line with Litigation Objectives Realisation Process Lite.
- Advising the Downstream Management Team in Oman on a need basis.
- Providing sound legal advice to various Downstream frontline functional leads and staff in Oman based on governing local laws and Shell’s legal framework / governance structure.
- Provide legal support for the Downstream business in Oman in line with the Shell Legal strategic intent, Group standards and local requirements.
- Ensure that material legal risks and opportunities are properly identified and managed.
- Ensure that documents accurately reflect commercial decisions, at all times consistent with legal obligations and the Shell Control Framework.
- Provide training for the business on legal and compliance issues in order to mitigate legal risk and to support the Group Ethics & Compliance program.
- Manage internal and external legal resources in line with Group policy and with the focus on affordability and competitive costs.
- Maintain and develop internal and external networks and play an active role as appropriate.
- Effective individual contributor and team player able to provide legal advice, effectively balancing and prioritizing the needs of the business in a complex environment.
- Promotion of the Legal function, including Ethics & Compliance, in Oman.
- Working effectively with internal stakeholders located inside and outside Oman (including the line manager and functional line manager) and from diverse cultural backgrounds.
The experience, qualifications and skills required for this position include:
- Understanding of Shell’s Downstream business or able to gain this quickly
- Qualified and experienced Omani lawyer with at least 10 years’ experience in a well-respected law firm, multinational or large local company legal department with responsibilities similar to those required in this role, including commercial legal advice, company secretarial support, advice on real estate, regulatory compliance matters and litigation management.
- Excellent command of both Arabic and English languages, both spoken and written.
- Able to promote the contribution of Legal to business goals and contributor to an ethical culture.
- Strong business partnering skills.
- Strong problem-solving ability.
- Ability to prioritize and deliver under pressure.
More in careers
Enhance your career development as an experienced professional with Shell and continue on your path to reach your full potential.