Shell Oman Legal strategic intent is to deliver the best business outcomes for Shell Oman by providing leading expertise, protecting the Company’s reputation and business and, where necessary, intervening, contributing to and enhancing business decisions and continuity, shaping industry legal regimes and practices, all at a competitive cost.
Shell Oman Legal functional priorities are business partnering, information management, people development and continuous improvement.
As the Legal Advisor at Shell Oman Marketing Company, you will be responsible for
- Professional, pro-active, timely, cost-effective and practical legal advice and support to the businesses and relevant functions and, with the support of the regional Shell stakeholders, for implementing the Legal strategy and functional priorities in DS Legal Oman.
- Managing the local DS Legal and company secretarial team and ensuring effective co-ordination across all members of Shell Legal supporting Shell Oman.
- Working effectively with and bringing in support as needed from colleagues in Shell Legal in other locations.
- Supporting the Company Secretary of Shell Oman, you will be contributing to company secretarial support to the Board of Shell Oman and for all related Stock Exchange and other company secretarial compliance activities.
- As Legal Advisor, you will also be required to provide legal advice to Shell Oman on its various corporate matters.
- Managing local Litigation matters and coordinating as necessary with Shell Legal Global Litigation on major matters.
- As Legal Advisor, you will also be required to play a proactive role within the DS Co-ordination Team in Oman and provide support to the Country Chair.
- Manage the DS Legal team in Oman in order to ensure the giving of professional, timely, pro-active, cost-effective and practical legal advice to the DS business and functions in line with the Shell Legal strategic intent, Group standards and local requirements;
- Ensure that material legal risks are properly identified and considered with the aim of protecting the business against legal risk;
- Ensure documents and contracts accurately reflect commercial decisions, always consistent with legal obligations and the Shell Control Framework;
- Provide training for the business on legal and compliance issues in order to mitigate legal risk and to support the Group Ethics & Compliance programme;
- Manage internal and external legal resources in accordance with Group requirements and in line with the focus on affordability and competitive costs and represent Shell Legal and Shell Oman externally.
- Support the Shell Legal strategic intent with a specific focus on Continuous Improvement including functional excellence and cost management;
- Develop and sustain relationships with colleagues at senior management level and external stakeholders such as Board members, and be accepted by them as a valued team member;
- maintain and develop internal networks within Global Legal;
- maintain and develop external networks and play an active role as appropriate;
- co-ordinate country-specific issues across the DS and Litigation syndicates;
- recruit, develop and retain talent across the Legal skill pool in Oman;
- Effective management of people and leader of Legal team and able to preserve and enhance the reputation of Shell and Shell Legal in a complex environment
- Promotion of the Legal function, including Ethics & Compliance, in Oman.
- Working effectively with internal stakeholders located outside Oman (including Support line manager) and from diverse cultural backgrounds
The experience and qualifications required for this position include:
- Understanding of Shell’s DS business
- Has held general counsel role in a multinational or large local company with responsibilities similar to those required in this role, including team leadership, commercial legal advice, advice on pensions and real estate, regulatory and compliance matters and litigation management
- Able to promote the contribution of Legal to business goals and contribute to an ethical culture
- Ability to lead, coach and motivate a team to achieve business outcomes for Shell
- Strong business partnering skills
- Strong problem-solving
- Ability to prioritize and deliver under pressure
- Ability to apply commercial mindset while maintaining independence of the function
- Ability to build relationships and engage effectively with senior stakeholders
- Ability to represent with Legal function with external stakeholders and build external networks
- Ability to act decisively
- Ability to work effectively with internal and external stakeholders from diverse cultural backgrounds
- qualifications or equivalent
- Minimum 10 years post-qualification experience
- Excellent command of both Arabic and English languages, both spoken and written.
- legal Bachelor degree or Master’s degree
- Good communication and interpersonal skills as well as a true interest in the development of people are crucial to the role, as it involves making various groups of people based in many locations across the world work together effectively.
- High energy self starting individual
- Capacity to work in a challenging and changing environment
- Excellent communication skills and team player
- Ability to deal with variances in work pressure
- Flexibility and project approach in work
- Ability to work under pressure with a minimum supervision
- Omani national
If you are Omani and have the required skills and qualifications, obtain an application from our Main Office in Mina Al-Fahal and submit it along with your CV and copies of relevant qualifications. Alternatively, you could could Apply Here by sending your resume with a cover letter to the email address provided, and ensure the inclusion of the title of the job you are applying for in the subject of your email before 18 June 2017.
Please note, only the short listed candidates will be contacted within 3 weeks from the closing date.
Human Resources and Administration Department
Shell Oman Marketing Company SAOG
PO Box 38, Mina Al- Fahal, Postal Code 116