- Manage the bi-lingual financial statement assurance and integrity for public listed company accounts with zero margin for error (high stake environment with high reputational risks and financial penalties for erroneous publication)
- Supervise & coordinate the preparation of the annual tax return with Shell Business Operations (SBO) and external tax advisors.
- Prepare the monthly Withholding Tax (WHT) returns and ensure timely submission via external tax advisors. Liaise with appropriate tax colleagues in the Group.
- Assist the Value Added Tax (VAT) implementation team with appropriate data and information.
- Prepare and execute on time first time right quality Manage Close, reporting and Local Statutory Reporting
- Monitor and ensure full execution of Fixed Assets Accounting and Inventory Accounting as per defined regulatory and Shell Group standards. Special emphasis on introduction / implementation of new International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
- Manage professional robust network with SBO, implement new ways of Working
Planning & Appraisal
- Provide financial support on the set up of a compliant and efficient structure and process for intra-group recoveries and settlement. Governance on cost sharing mechanism where applicable.
- Provide financial support on the setting up of global and regional units in country for the provision of intra-group activities and services, which will include the creation of appropriate Service Level Agreements (SLAs) which will comply with fiscal and legal requirements and support an efficient and effective intra-group recoveries and settlement process (where relevant)
- Guide and share knowledge with SBO staff who will provide Finance Support/Advisory duties to support functions, IT functions, and the annual corporate budgeting process for corporate costs
- Monitor costs and recoveries to ensure delivery against approved budget.
Accounting Policy & Compliance
- Support Group and Statutory reporting principles guidance and implement compliance across country/Classes of Business (CoB)
- Support Group and Statutory reporting principles guidance for new business entry
- Support legal interpretation & guidance on any changes in local legislation affecting the statutory accounting (and tax accounting where relevant) of a country
- Support internal and external audit, and external relationship management with local external auditors, deliver clean audit for the public listed accounts and clean audit for corporate governance and related party transaction audits by the Capital Market Authority
- Prepare and submit to ensure the supplemental disclosure information is complete, reasonable and accurate
- Ensures that the control framework around Manage Close is fit for purpose and has been operated by Shell Business Operations (SBO)as intended
- Prepare and analyse quarterly Group Reconciliation Accounts review of select account reconciliations focusing on large, material items, and a review of aged items
- Ensure that all statutory and legal returns for Down Stream legal entities are completed in accordance with local regulations and without penalty
- Meet all Controllers Key Performance Indicators (KPI)
- Focal point for preparing Related Party Data / Report for internal / external view
- Support Contingencies reviews with Businesses, Legal, Tax, Environmental services and other areas
- Assist Corporate Controller to coordinate Value Erosion Review/Impairment Test (VER/IT) exercise with the CoB/F finance managers and to review documentation
- Coordinate and provide financial management, controllership advice and lead the set up and maintenance of accounting and control requirements for businesses
- Where no Tax presence in country, support and provide first level validation for quarterly Tax charge calculations in Group Reporting for Areas of Operation
- Support Fixed Assets Accounting and Inventory Accounting
Governance and Business Controls
- Support compliance to the financial controls framework. Implement the accounting/financial control environment by tracking all accounting and financial control issues/ problems arising from financial closing and business operations.
- Interface Management
- with Business Partners, SBO, Finance in the business and coordination of internal and external communication with stakeholders.
- Adherence and compliance with HSSE rules (i.e. Life Saving Rules)
- Participation of regional networks
- Acting corporate Controller during absence of the incumbent
- Support (by providing input, expertise, facilitate communication and resolution of issues) process Improvement Initiatives eg Streamline/GSAP, retrofits (GSAP/GSOM) etc.
- Support group/finance/business initiatives, rationalisation eg; business model or portfolio.
Corporate and Representation
- Preparation of all local supervisory board information, multi sector reports, local management reports, etc.
- Support implementation of Business Integrity Week
- Working interface with government departments (eg Customs, Taxation Office, Govt Ministries, Industrial bodies etc) (incl. receiving government officials when attending AGMs, audit commencements and other requirements)
Integrator Role (in case of clustered Operating Units)
- Prepare analysis in relation to monitoring of the financial health across all DS Classes of Businesses that the DS business is operating in; highlighting variances and gaps facing local entity and the factors aiding/impeding financial control framework
- Prepare analysis to ensure that the Country Controller is kept appraised of any activities, as mentioned above, that impact on the financial robustness of the entity as a whole
- Prepare analysis for Tax Returns (if delegated by local Controller)
- Support accounting and financial input to corporate litigation and disputes with any JVs, competitors and the state-run refineries
Tax – Direct and Indirect (where NO local Tax Manager in place)
- Prepare analysis for Tax Returns (if delegated by local Controller)
- Prepare and submit that all tax returns and payments are made in accordance with local regulations on time and without penalty
- Preparation of local Tax Books
- Support internal and external interface relating to tax and duties
- Support government relations and work with internal/external parties and local Industry to discuss/pursue/lobby on matters of common interest (e.g VAT, Excise duty, Direct taxes, Service tax etc) (if delegated by Controller)
- Prepare, analyse and monitor all Direct tax worksheets/calculations etc to ensure that the calculations are complete and accurate.
- Contracting and Procurement (CP) activities includes:
- support of procurement activities (Purchase Requisition (PR) and confirmatory Purchase Order (PO) approval, where applicable)
- Act as “business” asset focal point for Corporate and function assets. Liaising with SBO on the asset verification process coordinated by SBO and generate asset write off requests
- Oversee government returns and surveys to statutory bodies/ authorities to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements
- Focal for cost centre changes due to staff changes and/or organisation change. Work with HR and relevant line function to implement new cost centres, timing of change and closing of the old ones
Public Listed Company specifics:
- Prepare of Quarterly and Year End Financial statements, prepare variance explanations to the accounts to the respective board of directors for the Board of Directors approval
- Support working interfaces with state-run refineries, Capital Market Authority, professional financial and accounting bodies
- Prepare English and Arabic financial statements on quarterly basis for news media and securities exchange publication
- Prepare and update the related party transaction policy and procedures
- Preparation of Directors’ Fees, ensure strict compliance to regulatory requirements for payment and disclosure
- Ability to deliver the financial statement assurance and integrity, and preparation of Corporate Governance interpretation and applications
- Keeping abreast of all changes in Shell & external policies with respect to the activities within his/her responsibility
- NO margin for error given highly restrictive regulatory environment for one of the largest public listed company in the Muscat Securities Market (MSM)
- Liaising with numerous and varied stakeholders – able to work well with all levels of internal management and staff. Exercises independent judgement in the resolution of interface problems
- Demonstrate competence in managing multiple tasks simultaneously, focusing on details
- Manage multiple priorities, delivery with speed and quality
The experience and qualifications required for this position include:
- University degree in Finance/ Accounting
- Preferably Omani national
- Preferably 2/3 years working experience in an Audit firm/Financial Institution
- Preferable holder of ACCA/CIMA/CPA
If you have the required skills and qualifications, obtain an application from our Main Office in Mina Al-Fahal and submit it along with your CV and copies of relevant qualifications. Alternatively, you could Apply Here and ensure the inclusion of the title of the job you are applying for before 14th December 2017.
Please note, only the short-listed candidates will be contacted within 3 weeks from the closing date.
Human Resources and Administration Department
Shell Oman Marketing Company SAOG
PO Box 38, Mina Al-Fahal. Postal Code 116